3D Printer Upgrades + Covid Masks

I was printing masks for my local hospital when suddenly my smoothieware board bit the dust!

Don’t leave your printer unsupervised!

I never had very good luck with this board, nothing can be fixed easily on it when steppers break etc. I upgraded to a more modern solution, the SKR 1.4 Turbo controlled via Octoprint running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

New all metal frame

While I was replacing the controller and cleaning up the burnt table I replaced all of the old 2525 aluminum extrusion with new 2020 from Misumi. I got the aluminum corner pieces from RobotDigg.

The new dimensions were slightly large to get more of the print surface inside the triangle for better print accuracy. I upgraded to the e3d volcano hotend for faster printing. I also replaced the old frankensteined SeeMeCnc carriage rollers with linear slides from ebay.

Temporary cross shaft to hold spool
Printing a new mask with 0.6mm layers, much faster!
The print bed can hold up to 6 masks at a time if everything is laid out perfectly

I also got an enclosure made by a family member to keep the temperatures inside up and to also dampen the noise.

Always have your fire extinguisher ready!
Small webcam set up for time lapses
Sent to local hospitals to help prevent shortages.
First multi day print with new upgrades

Installing a garage sink

My wife wasn’t happy with my bad habit of washing my dirty oil covered hands in the kitchen sink. I’m quite bad at cleaning up after myself, even when I’m cleaning up after myself.

I was lucky enough to my my washing machine right next to the garage. I cut some drywall out to expose the hot, cold, and drainage line. I tapped into all of these for the sink.

In this picture the garage is too the left about one stud bay away, I am sitting where the washing machine normally does.

I opted for sharkbite fittings because my brazing skills suck and I would most certainly light the drywall and studs on fire trying to get tees installed. I had to bend the pex around the back of the drainage line, thankfully I didn’t braze them and could simply rotate the connector a bit to accommodate the bend in the pex.

Tees installed, Pex running through the stud bays before going out to the garage

If you can’t tell, there is a massive dryer lint / cobweb infestation in the crawl space under the washing machine. The previous owner never noticed the dryer exhaust ductwork had come undone, the dryer was pumping moist warm air into the crawl space.. Everything around there was covered in lint and spider webs! I teed into this drainage line and ran the pipe out to the garage as well.

It’s like a haunted house under here!

Here both of the water lines are running through the wall and have their braided hoses ready to attach to the sink. The drainage lines has been run into the crawlspace to connect to the washing machine drain.

After a few trips to Menards to get the required hardware I decided to get a flexible fitting for the drainage and water connections in case I need to move the sink in the future. Here you can see the drainage line very close to the floor running through into the crawlspace.

After the installation was complete I replaced the removed drywall, then taped and mudded it!

Now to clean all this mess up!